Name of provider
The Outdoor Place CIC
Name of course
Mentored Outdoor Learning
Site/s where available
Springfield Farm, Baldhu TRURO Cornwall TR3 6ED
Key contact for questions about course
Duration of course
1 – 3 years
Age range if applicable
Key course content and outcomes
Although the programmes are individualised, there are some general things that everyone is enabled to complete.
– maths, English at a level the student needs and is appropriate.
– IT skills will include information in staying safe in an online world
– practical outdoor skills – the base is a small working farm and woodland, where students can participate in the running of the farm based on their skills and preferences, whether this is woodland management, working with the animals, or maintenance of the land.
– adventure days – where we walk around the local area, providing opportunities for students to develop personal and social skills as we visit shops and cafes, or venture further afield on buses or trains
– a placement will be found that best utilises the student’s interests and capabilities of the individual.
– volunteering locally – this may be with Truro Parks Department or in the Outdoor Place’s market stand for example
– the opportunity for overnight stays, camping, and expeditions
– Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme
An adventurous outdoor enthusiasm and willingness to learn outdoors (whatever the weather!).
Level 1 / level 2 bespoke qualifications
Volunteering project / employment / level 2 or level 3 course
Aspects of provision funded from E1 and E2
Minimal course attendance and requirements
Aspects of provision funded from E3
1:1 mentored support throughout course.
Supported work experience / volunteering programme within the community.
Extra needs as required by the individual
Additional charges for families
e.g. swimming, pocket money for shopping
Pocket money required for trips and visits – if the students wish to purchase extra snacks / drinks.
Optional expenses for families
e.g. non-essential trips
None, all expenses included within the bespoke course and costs
Timing across the week
Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday – course 10 – 5
1 other day TBC – work experience 1:1
Minimum number of learners to run course
Maximum number of places
15 (3 separate cohorts)
This is a bespoke course that focuses on the needs and requirements of the young adults. Very small group sizes (max 5) and mainly based outdoors.
The students work together on projects and collaborative working is encouraged as students learn to work and socialise with others. However, the outcomes for all are determined individually as students find their place within a team. Placements are considered on an individual basis.