Name of provider
Truro and Penwith College – Truro and Penwith Campus
Name of course
Skilled for Life
Who is this course intended for?
- Offered at Entry Level 3 / Level 1 that provides the opportunity to experience a range of vocational sectors and learning experiences
- Aimed at post 16 students who have not yet decided on a career, or those who need more qualifications to gain entry onto other courses
- Opportunity for one day per week work placement.
Site/s where available
Key contact for questions about course
Programme Team Leader, Foundation Studies (Truro):
Deputy Team Leders, Foundation Studies (Truro):
Steve Kenward and Lucy Sheen
Course leader Penwith Campus:
Post in transition, Jan 2020 (TBC)
Duration of course
1 to 3 years dependent on individual progression.
Age range if applicable
Post 16 Learners
Key course content and outcomes
- Maths, English and ICT skills at appropriate level (core)
- Creative subjects
- Sport and outdoor education
- Humanities subjects
- Cookery and Living Skills
- Vocational choices and tasters
- Employability Skills
Entry 3 / Level 1 – course offer by College interview.
- Personal target setting and development monitoring
- Functional Skills Maths and English – Levels 1,2 and 3
- GCSE Maths and English (where applicable)
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Bronze, Silver and Gold
- Pearson Skilled for Life umbrella qualification (Award or Certificate as appropriate)
Further Education Courses at Progression or Diploma Levels
Additional charges for families
e.g. swimming, pocket money for shopping
Entry to public venues (if applicable)
Personal spending money on visits
Optional expenses for families
e.g. non-essential trips
Timing across the week
- Post 16 funded entitlement of 540 to 620 guided learning hours taught across three or more days of the week
- Opportunity for weekly one day supported work experience for those ready or reaching ability to enter the workplace
- Additional time subject to confirmation of discretionary funding
The focus is to develop communication skills, all aspects of social inclusion and making personal choices.
For all students our aim is to promote lifelong learning.
Destination other Further Education courses, Employment.